Friday 4 October 2013

Had Chicken today???

The scene on the butcher's shop was different from the ordinary days. It seemed as if everybody in the town wanted a dead animal for his meal.

I being a hard core non-vegetarian was not used to here "SAB KHATAM HO GAYA SIR" (at least at a butcher's shop).


In the last two months of my stay here, I have been a regular customer to that shop but for the first time in so many days, there was no meat left at 8 in the evening!

Disappointed with this, I then went to a restaurant and ordered," One Chilli Chicken please"

"Sorry Sir. Out of stock". Now this was another shocker.

Amused with the increased demand in the market, I wondered if chickens are going to be extinct

Meanwhile, I decided to go for some vegetarian item.

While I was pondering on the menu, my phone rang. My mother was on the other side.

“Hi Beta. How Are you,” she questioned.

“Struggling for food Ma”, I joked.

“Accha Suno, if you want to eat non-veg, eat it today itself, don’t touch any non-veg item for the next 10 days. Navratra begins from tomorrow.”

“What!”

“OK I’ll try”, I added half heartedly.

Now I could guess the reason behind people’s sudden love for dead chicken.

You must be finding this incident ordinary enough to feature on any blog. But this small incident actually describes the mind set of the people of this country who only believe in following a religion rather than understanding it.

I mean can any body on this earth make me understand how I can impress my GOD by not eating non-veg for 10 days.

And this thinking does not end merely to eating non-veg.

Have we ever realized that for the next ten days all of us will be worshiping a woman, a woman resembling the victory of right over wrong. We will bow our head in front of the idol of the women, pray for our safety  and as soon as we’ll come out of the mandir or the pooja pandal our innocent eyes would start searching if any ‘hot maal’ has also come  to offer prayers.

The police patrolling in New Delhi will be on its full swing to check that no ‘Durga Devotee’ gets a chance to abduct or rape a girl on the streets.

The girls of my home town, Gaya, would rather decide to stay in their houses itself because the definition of ‘Devi Darshan’ is slightly different for the young brats of the town.

And if you think that this is all- check the newspaper just after Dussehra, it would be full of reports of communal violence.

If worshiping for you has meant just praying in front of the idol of ‘Durga’ and not eating chicken, then this Navratra, lets redefine this festival.

HAVE A HAPPY NAVARATRA!
  



3 comments:

  1. Shubham, commendable..
    I agree with each and evry point of yours.
    We have the habbit of following things without putting some brain into it..
    Its not that I dnt like to worship a inspirational soul but in my opinion they definately dnt reside in those artificial idols and eventually with time, the fact remains d same that every festival is loosing its essence and is a chance to create nuinsance..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Shubham.. I agree.. we are living in a society where ppl only think one-dimensionally & 'bhed-chaal' has become an order of the day. The GOD is within all of us but we are searching GOD in idols. The festivals have just become a formality rather than depicting the core of a religion. Keep writing. MANAS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awssmm one.. I think somewhere it defines you in real

    ReplyDelete