Thursday 15 August 2013

I'll NOT salute the tri-colour

Sare Jahan Se Accha Hindusitan Hamara
Ham Bulbule hain iski Ye Gulsitan Hamara...

The sweet words of this song coming from the loudspeaker of the society compound broke my sleep. I looked at the watch- 7.30.

Today’s morning seemed to have a different charm. The children could not control their excitement. The professionals sacrificed their formals for traditional clothes. Even the birds seemed to be chirping more than the usual days.

Exactly at 8.30, a respected old man of the society hoisted the national flag. With our utmost enthusiasm, we gave our salute to the symbol of our freedom. The sense of patriotism, respect and proud present in each and every individual could be easily felt as the national anthem encored in the society premises.

Only 4 hours have passed since the event. I am still standing at the same place. The tri-colour is still flying with great zeal. But the pride, the patriotism and the respect have suddenly vanished away from my heart. I can see a dirty place with used plates and cups thrown all around. In between the ruckus, a poor lady, accompanied by her two small daughters (around 5-6 years old), is searching for something to eat. While the lady wears a dirty torn sari, her daughters carry a paper flag with not a single cloth on their body.

 "The day is not far off when India will be rid of poverty, hunger, disease and ignorance."

These words of Dr. Manmohan Singh are now hurting my ears.

The flag that he hoisted represents courage, sacrifice, truth, peace, purity, prosperity and righteousness. And in front of the same flag, the Prime Minister of the largest democracy of the world said something which was miles away from reality.

And why should we blame only the PM?.Did we have these feelings incorporated in our minds while we saluted the flag?

If NO, then the tri-colours that are flying at our homes, our schools, our colleges and even at Lal Quilla are not flags but pieces of waste clothes.

All that is coming to my mind is to bring that flying cloth down, tear it into two parts and give one to each of the two naked girls standing in front of me.

I wish I could do that.I wish I could tear all those flags and distribute them to the poors who cannot afford to wear anything.

But I cannot .I am not 'independent' to do that because then I will be accused of disrespecting our national flag and for hurting the sentiments of the people that awakes twice every year.

But their's one thing I can definitely do, "I'll NOT salute the tri-colour. I'm not worth doing that."




No comments:

Post a Comment