Monday 25 August 2014

Who’s staring?


After a long and tiring day, it was the time to go home. But the idea of traveling from Dwarka to Noida and that too in metro seemed like a nightmare to me. Like all the hundreds of other people waiting for the train, I was also praying that I get a seat. The metro came, the doors opened and everyone rushed inside in search of the most precious thing of the time – a place for their bums to rest. But amongst all of them it was me who succeeded.

picture:google
After 6 days of night shift, with 3 days of no sleep at all and 12 hours of continuous traveling on my week off, the joy of grabbing a seat was not less than winning a battle. As the metro moved I counted the number of stations- 36! That means not less than an hour and a half, I calculated. But at least I had a place to sit. While I was thinking about all these things, a harsh and rude voice interrupted me. Excuse me! I looked up, she was a girl in her early 20’s wearing a black spaghetti and a skirt or to be precise a mini skirt or to be more precise a micro mini skirt. (Statuary warning: Before accusing me of being a sexist or a male chauvinist, you should read the whole article)  

She continued in the same rude voice, "You are sitting on a Ladies seat." All my happiness of winning a seat in that rush went into vain. I felt like shouting at her, “Look at me, can’t you see the tiredness on my face. You are traveling alone, why can’t you go into the ladies coach. If I can travel without a seat, why can’t you do the same? And then people like you will talk about equality.” But I couldn't say all those things because being a boy, at times you are helpless . I silently stood up.

30 stations to go .Another bunch of young girls entered the coach, an old lady also came in, the place reserved for old people were occupied by people equally old as her, then she looked at the ladies’ seat, young girls including the one in the micro-mini was sitting their, but they did not find the need of offering her the seat, as if offering seats is only a man’s duty. Finally it was a boy sitting next to them who got up.

26 stations to go.My attention now shifted to the young girls who entered the coach with the old lady.  And this was not because they were too beautiful or attractive but because of their peculiar behavior. All of them were looking at the micro-mini skirt girl or to be precise at her legs. If a boy would have done the same it would have been called ‘peeping inside the skirt’. So I take the leverage of saying that a bunch of young girls were peeping inside another young girl’s skirt.

15 more left. All the way these girls were pointing fingers at her and talking something about her which of course I couldn't listen. I looked around, there was nobody else not even a boy looking at her. 8 more stations to go….

Somehow my destination station came, I came out along with those girls, I was not interested in looking or hearing anything around but one of the girls' comment caught my ears. “ She was looking like a slut”. Her friends agreed, one of them replied, “She should not have wore the skirt at all,” and they all exited laughing. 

They were all modern educated girls. If they themselves can't respect the attire of another girl, how can they expect the opposite gender to do the same? Who was being sexist, me, the other boys or the girls????? Who was being disrespectful????

At least not me. I left my seat in respect for a girl who did not do the same in respect for someone much older and in much more need of that seat.

Well my journey of being respectful was so tiring that I couldn't get up today to go to my office. But there's always a positive side of being good, I finally got time to sit at home and write a blog after so many days!


No comments:

Post a Comment